Friday, February 1, 2008

It's our problem-free philosophy..

1. Databases can only be expanded with an input of knowledge. For humans much of that knowledge comes from experience; the rest is gained through learning. Reading is one of the most advantageous ways to acquire information. Starting at an early age of five or six, children begin with picture books and children's stories, but as we grow older our understanding of language grows and we are able to comprehend more complex writing. The more we read, the more expansive our knowledge becomes, which translates into other areas of our life. In order to be increasingly successful in writing, our minds need to be stretched, and continually expanded with knew ideas. Reading provides that incite that improves the quality of a writer. Without it, ideas grow old, and the wellspring of knowledge and inspiration dries.



2. Most of the world's inventions in this decade have originated outside of the United States. Average students in Asian countries are fluent in three to five languages. Starting at a young age foreign students begin advanced studies in science and math--preparing them to launch into the highly evolved technical world. In America students excel in art. No, in actuality students study a variety of subjects, but not always to the caliber as in countries across the world. History has proven that the United States is roughly twenty years behind Europe, and if that statement holds true then the future of America is dismal. The fate of the United States in America stands in the hands of generation X. The future of those students rests with the education system. Therefore, it is extremely important for those educators to push students to their highest potential. Otherwise, America could potentially loose our cushy status in the not too distant future.


3. I am greatly inspired by the book The Westing Game. Although I first read this book in elementary school, I have read and re-read it many times. This book captivates me because I am enthralled by suspenseful plots, and stories that require me to ponder and deliberate while I read. I enjoy the challenge of attempting to unveil the ending before the author's intended disclosure. This book is all about the secret lives of roughly a dozen inhabitants in the Sunset Towers. Beyond the intricate lives of these unsuspecting people lies an even more intricate secret of the owner of the Towers. This book, as well as others similar to it, is puzzling. Therefore, it is a challenge and a pleasure to immerse myself in them.

6 comments:

Optimus Prime said...

Liz - I liked how your put together your first paragraph on reading. It was very structured and had lots of good information to back up your points. I'm really glad you pointed out what you did in your second paragraph, it's totally true and we here in America are almost totally oblivious. Oh and not to mention The Westing Game is an awesome book, but i was utterly confused the first time I read it....

Catie said...

LIZZY!!! OH my I love the Westing Game it is by far on top of my favorite books list. Actually, I was just thinking the other day about how I should reread that book soon. The plot is just so intriguing. I'll admit the first time I read it I kept saying whoa what happened there, i'm confused. But I reread it a second time and I was found myself more immersed with the plot then the first time. I don't know about you but I could and still can't read that book before bed. It surprisingly enough spooks me to the point of nightmares. But man thats a great book!

Dan M. said...

I agree with you completely about how books are a very beneficial source of knowledge. For your writing on question two, that does seem to be occurring and if we don't step up we'll be left in the dust. The Westing Game seems to be a very interesting book from how you described it. I may have to read it sometime.

Jared said...

Well I wasn't expecting a research paper but I do think your first response makes a lot of sense. I, too think we need to read in order to be successful in other areas of life. Reading keeps us aware of new ideas and without them life would get really boring.

Mr. Miles said...

I love THE WESTING GAME! Very good book.

I really agree with your ideas for #2. I don't understand why were aren't ahead because we have the best of so many other cultures within our own.

I think our educational system is based upon people wanting to learn for the sake of learning. Maybe the key is in creating a passion for learning about specific topics, then allowing kids to learn about that, rather than requiring them to take a certain number of classes. If we can somehow foster a love of learning so that it is self-motivated rather than parent or grade motivated. I don't know, just some thoughts . . .

Jared said...

My first comment was kind of lame and I'm bored in the language lab right now, so here's another one...

I think you need to cite your sources for question number 2. I just can't stop reading this one. I consider myself moderately average when it comes to being smart, and there's no way I am becoming fluent in TWO languages any time soon. However, I do agree that we are very behind in education and we need to do something about it. Personally, I wouldn't mind becoming an expert at one or two things, but I also don't want to have my childhood taken away because of excessive studying. I think I'm going to stop writing now.