1. Theme is ambiguous. We have spent twelve years of schooling learning about reading, and pieces of writing. In at least six of those twelve years we have studied the themes of various great and semi-great writers. Never has there been one singular clear theme. It is possible to find many different themes in one piece of writing on a wide variety of subjects. Theme is in the eye of the beholder rather than in the eyes of a writer. We analyze poetry until we're blue in the face, but nobody will ever understand what the true intent of the author was unless the author explicitly explains everything.
2. One theme that I could play with in my play could revolve around the topic of trust. Betrayal and trust are two opposite extremes that can be juxtaposed with each other to prove a point. By juxtaposing situations of harmful betrayal and then the hope of redemption through regained trust, it is possible to implement foils and use their differences to relate to individual lives of readers. This theme is relatable to anybody's life---which gives it a broader scope---which is the purpose of a thematic statement. Really, I hate themes, but if I have to implement some broader sense of a moral statement, then betrayal and trust are relatable topics.
3. One conflict that is always fun to play with revolves around misunderstandings. Especially in lighthearted writing, it is quite humorous to observe misunderstandings and the actions that result from the disconnect in communication. For example, Noises Off is a farce that is based upon breakdowns in communication, or deception that causes asymmetric information. As an audience member observing the disconnect, this type of conflict is fun and interesting. I would enjoy creating a lighthearted scenario that involves a simulated “telephone” affect.
Well, What are we waiting for?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
The misunderstanding idea is great. I love funny situations with misunderstandings (like in NOISES OFF). I love comedy that grows out of what two different people think of one situation, such as where, for example, Sally thinks that Bob is in love with her, and where Bob thinks Sally is an ax murderer. I've played around with that some in my writing.
Ambiguous? Well, I am OFFENDED by your belief that theme doesn't matter. Anyway, I think that betrayal and trust would be great to juxtapose. A lot of other ideas could branch off of those two things. If misunderstanding were thrown into the play also, it would even make it better...
Liz - even though i think theme is important you make a very very very very very good point in saying that theme is in the eye of the beholder, which makes a lot of sense. I also like the idea of trust for your "theme" in a play, because trust is very hard to earn but easily broken and could give the reader many interesting stories to get into.
I do agree that we analyze things way to much throughout our middle and high school career but still having a general theme does keep people interested in a work of literature and makes them want to keep reading it. If it isn't about anything, no one will want to read it.
AMBIGIOUS?!Why is theme ambigious? Don't you need a theme in order to develope a plot? I understand what your saying about being able to pick out several themes. But isn't it beneficial to have one strong impactful theme? I don't really understand what you are getting at there.
Post a Comment